Jan. 2 - the birth

Soren Richard Wheeler

I've never been so happy to see someone as when the epidural guy walked through the door. All my breathing and focusing on each contraction as it came helped me get by, but I really just wanted a little relief.

The nurse got me into position, hugging the pillow and holding Scott's hand. I just kept thinking - make this work before I have another contraction. Sadly, the first time the epidural didn't take. So he had to do it again. He lost the "my favorite person" status at this point.

Before I started labor, I was scared of the epidural needle hurting. But what they say is true - you just don't care when it comes down to it. Once the second attempted epidural was in a good place, I was shocked to learn it doesn't work immediately. That I had to WAIT 10 minutes.

At this point, I felt something in between my legs and called for the nurse to check me. It didn't feel like a head, but there was definitely something there. She looked and one of my water sacks hadn't broke and was being pushed out like a giant water balloon. I have a picture, but don't worry - i won't be sharing. It looked pretty cool, though. She grabbed another nurse to see, since it isn't very common to have it come out whole.

My epidural was kind of working, but not enough. So the guy gave me a stronger dose. By the time it all kicked in, I was fully dilated with the head ready to be pushed out.

The doctor was called and she told the nurses to work on pushing with me, since it was my first baby and she didn't think he would come that fast. She was right.

With the epidural, my legs were dead weight. I could not feel them or my contractions - not even a little pressure. The nurse watched my monitor and told me when to push. Even though I couldn't feel, I was a pretty darn good pusher. We got the head in place and then waited for the doctor.

Once she came, it still took a little while. The atmosphere was oddly relaxed and calm. We chit chatted with the different nurses in between pushes. It was nice, I enjoyed the whole experience. They held up a mirror for me, so I could see his progress. Scott supplied me with ice chips and lots of positive support. We joked about how he had two crowns. We talked about the nursery nurse's recovery from a recent sprained ankle. We talked about our upcoming move to Idaho. Etc.
Soren and me a few minutes after his birth.

After 90 minutes of pushing, he popped out. It all happened so fast! I was shocked to actually see my baby. I have a freeze-frame image in my head of him being held in the air right after he came out. Amazing that he has been with me for nine months and now he has a face for me to recognize.

They placed him on my chest, where they rubbed him pink, suctioned his mouth, and did all the vitals. I got to cuddle him, but had to stop for them to finish rubbing him pink (which was okay with me) and then I got to cuddle him some more. His eyes were wide open, staring around, and he was screaming. As soon as I started talking to him, he stopped crying and turned his head in my direction. It was amazing!

And I was surprised at how cute he was. I mean, I am the mom so I should think he is cute - but he already had such distinct, adorable features. A little pointy chin, a cute button nose, long lashes, big eyes, long fingers.

Scott cutting the umbilical cord.

Scott was awesome and took the best photographs. And he was able to have a nurse take a picture of him cutting the cord. He was such a huge support the whole day. I can't imagine having the experience without him. It was just so special and I have no doubts about him being a wonderful dad.

Baby boy Wheeler was born at 3:02 a.m. on Jan. 2, 2009. He weighed 7 lbs. 3 oz and was 21 inches. We were too tired to name him, so he went the first day as Baby.

More to come later....(oh yes, there is more!)

Comments

Andrea Grover said…
Both our girls have been born in the afternoon/evening. I can't imagine what it must be like to have a baby when you should be sleeping during the wee hours of the morning.

But I know it's totally worth it ... no matter what time it is, how long it takes or how much it hurts. :-)

Congratulations! He's beautiful.
Micah said…
Thank you so much for sharing this. It's actually calming for me to hear your story and makes me so excited to see my baby boy. You are so right about Soren's face. I was telling Andrew that for a new born he has his own look. He didn't look like a normal swollen new born. He was already beautiful! I love the pictures of him. He has so many great faces already! Congratulations to you and Scott.
Anonymous said…
I can't beleive the epidural didin't work very well. Mine was instant. I'm glad you were able to push okay. And I totally weird that I want to see that water sack? I guess b/c my experience was so different from yours, i'm intrigued. And also impressed that you watched witha mirror, I don't think I could do that.
Isn't it the best when they show that they know you? I love it.
Restless Mama said…
That's beautiful. You know what's funny? I pushed for 90 minutes as well and also had to be induced. Congratulations on being such a great pusher! I too am actually curious about the water sac - hope that's not odd.
The moment they look at you after they're born...there are no words for that. I think about it everyday.
Michelle Claire said…
When you hold your baby in your arms for the first time... ah, there's nothing like it in the world... actually, even when you haven't held them yet, but you can hear the nurses and doctor talking about them, and then you can hear them crying... it's one of the sweetest, most wonderful feelings... that little person that you get to have in your family. It's awesome, amazing... I love it.
Allison said…
I'm so happy for you guys! And that you had such a nice experience, I loved my "birth" experience, and I distinctly remember telling the epidural man, "I love you......no like i really really seriously love you." and I do. :) drugs were made for a reason! I can't wait to see the rest and what you named him! love, Allison
lindsey said…
He's adorable!!!
Jessica Marie said…
Ok...if I have a baby, I hope I look as good as you do! No offense to my wonderful friends, but they looked like a mess! I know...your giving birth, not doing a photo shoot, but you look so beautiful in the picture of you and Soren on your chest! Just beautiful! You have a glow. It must be that glow of becoming a mom! He's so adorable! I can't wait to see pictures through the months of him growing! Congrats again!

Most Read