My authentic, southern cookbook
There are hole-in-the-wall book stores and antique shops tucked all over Savannah. I love to go explore them and see what I can find - its much easier than waking up early for garage sales. So last week, a couple girls from work and I went to Habersham Used Books on our lunch break. The store was long and narrow, with extra rooms off the main store. In the very back I found a stack of old pamphlets. Most of them were from church groups, but hidden amongst them was this fun treasure - a southern cook book from the early 1960s! Just look at those dresses! All I had to see was Bouillibaise, Shrimp Gumbo, and an Okra recipe on the first page to know that this was authentic. This is the southern cookbook of all cook books - before Paula Dean or anyone else dominated the Savannah Cookbook market. I haven't had time to whip any of the recipes up, but below is one I will try soon.So let me know if you're dying to learn how to make Turtle Soup, Hush Puppies or anything else - it's all in my new book.
Shrimp-Crab Gumbo
2 T. butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 lb. diced cooked ham
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 lb. okra, washed (discard stem ends) and sliced
6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and choppeed
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teasoppon thyme
1 teaspoon choppped parsley
1/2 bay leaf, crushed
1 61/2-oz. can crab meat, drained
1 lb. fresh shrimp with shells, cooked, peeled, and deveined
Heat butter in a large skilled. Add the onion, green pepper, celery, ham, and garlic; cook mixture until onion is soft. Add the okra and tomatoes and next eight ingredients to the skilled. Mix. Cover and simmer 15 min. Stir the crab meat and cooked shrimp into the skillet and cook 10 min., or until okra is tender. Serve on mounds of rice.
Makes 6-8 servings.

Comments
dummy