May Day

I've always loved May Day. When I was little my cousin Suzanne and I would pick wild flowers and doorbell ditch bouquets to all our neighbors (and our Grandma - since she lived down the street). I remember one year when we made grass nests for the flowers on each porch. We filled them with white clover flowers, purple honeysuckle and dandy lions.
Another year our teachers taught us how to make baskets by weaving paper. Our neighbors all got their own construction paper baskets.
Now I'm all grown up and feel a little silly making my own grass nests and construction paper baskets. However, I now have a little 3-yr-old who is old enough to play along. But somehow May Day snuck up on me and then it was soooo windy AND both boys have major snotty noses with grouchy bugs. Just as I was about to give up on this years May Day celebration, a friend stopped by and dropped off the cutest (and most delicious) May Day sugar cookies.

Lucas celebrated his first May Day by licking pink frosting off cookies. I'm not sure how much made it into his mouth, but he sure loved what little did. Soren took care of the marshmallow petals on the flowers for us, since we didn't want Lucas to choke on them ;)
That darn wind is also preventing us from playing outside and planting my garden. We went to CAL Ranch to buy manure and everything yesterday. Soren and Lucas both loved saying hello to the baby chicks, who pecked the glass in reply.
After realizing it was going to be blowing all day, I resigned myself to being cooped inside for another day. We got out a big box of Trains, trucks and cars that they haven't seen in a month. It saved the day! They played and played (well, Soren got mad at Lucas a lot too, but there was a lot of playing without needing mom to entertain constantly.)
When I grabbed the camera, Soren immediatly tried to help me take pictures. He has been having fun looking through the lens and pressing the shutter release.
Lucas saw me get out the camera and decided to show off his awesome standing skills. He is so close to walking! He can take one or two steps right now. I bet he will be walking by his birthday in 2 weeks.






Comments