Postnatal Insomnia anyone?

Ever since Lucas was born, I have not been able to fall asleep at night. A few rare times, I have napped - but never in my bed. My bed is now this place of stress. I dread nights and feel anxious the closer bedtime comes. When I try to fall asleep on my own, relaxation breathing and other techniques don't work. I've met with my doctor and we developed a plan. For now, I am taking sleeping pills and trying to de-stress my life. I hate that I need to take sleeping pills. I never realized how terrifying it can feel to know you can't fall asleep on your own. I hate it.


Apparently, a lot of women suffer from this after giving birth. Why doesn't anyone ever talk about it? Or do I just not know the right women?

I read an article written in the U.K. Times. Its a little old (2009) but discusses exactly what I'm dealing with. Specifically these quotes:

  • "Insomnia spirals with anxiety, “worrying if the baby is okay, and if you’re being a good mother”. Then there is the agony of lying awake with a stream of miserable thoughts racing through your mind, which can undermine a mother’s confidence. That, in turn, creates more exhaustion and insomnia."

  • "One of the worst parts of the insomnia, she says — and others agree — is that “your brain goes to these really dark, twisted places, which, in the cold light of day, seem like nothing”

  • "Sophie, 36, a head of communications, was struck by debilitating insomnia for the first time with her second baby — even though he was sleeping well. “Sleep deprivation, which all new parents experience, makes you tired and grumpy. But this was a whole new ballgame,” she says. The slightest noise would wake her. “Then I got caught in a vicious cycle of exhaustion breeding anxiety breeding insomnia. I dreaded going to bed because I was so terrified of the insomnia, and, of course, that made it worse. In the small hours, lying awake, I really lost my mind.” 
It sucks. I hate it and want it to stop. 

Comments

That sounds AWFUL! Sending love your way!!! : )
Meg said…
Oh, Melissa! I haven't had anything to the degree you're describing, but I know how miserable it can feel to have anxiety eating at you. My prayers are with you, my wonderful cousin. Hang in there!
Deanna said…
I'm sorry Melissa. Though, I haven't had insomnia, I've definitely dealt with Postpartum Depression. Don't feel bad about having to take sleeping pills. You obviously need to sleep and if you've tried other things and the pills are what works, then go with that. I wish I were closer to help you out! You're in my prayers.
Bree said…
Oh Mel, I'm sorry!! I dealt with insomnia after I had Emery and nothing helped. Fortunately it only lasted in the hospital. It was draining and horrible, but I can't imagine having it last more than a few nights. :( I hope things can get better! Love you tons!!
Sunny Days said…
Hey Melissa! Sounds aweful. I obviously have not been through such frustrations yet anyhow, but have recently discovered a new life line for jet lag that just might work for you and be a little less "drug" feeling than official sleeping pills, depending on what you've been using. Try melatonin capsules! They are 100% natural, work like a charm for a good solid night's sleep and yet don't leave you the least bit drowsy come morning time. Just a thought, but they've become a lifesaver for me! Good luck!
wagstaffers said…
Im glad you blogged about this, the more people on your side, the better. What your describing really does sound awful. Remember, you ARE a good mother. Keep working with the doctor until this is over.
Paul and Susan said…
It is nice to know you are not the only one who has ever dealt with this. It is reassuring to know there are others.
Katie said…
I'm so sorry, Melissa! I wish I could help!
The Clifts said…
I don't have insomnia, but I am a super light sleeper and wake up a million times a night. So a friend of ours (a doctor) told me to take Melatonin. It is a MIRACLE! It is natural and it makes all the difference. I wish I would have found it ten years ago. Most sleeping pills wouldn't work for me, but this does and it doesn't make me groggy. Plus, if you need to wake up in the middle of the night (which I assume you do :) you are able to. Of course, it effects everyone differently, but I love it. Let me know if you try it and how it works for you.
Lisa Brown said…
So sorry!! I probably had it, but with all my kids sleep issues, I wouldn't have gotten the sleep anyway.

Most Read