"Nesting" or "Freaking out"?

After yesterday's midwife appointment - and an attempt at a relaxing nap - my body switched to super-organizing and cleaning mode. I literally felt like a switch was turned on, with more energy than I've had in a while sustaining me for stupid tasks like: cleaning all my doors, the filters in my fans, organizing my blanket drawer, restacking diapers, redecorating shelves in my bedroom, sorting more baby clothes, organizing my files, organizing Soren's toys, cleaning his room, picking up my garden, etc...

If Soren is willing, he gets to help me or play nearby. If he isn't, than on pops "Toy Story 3" for the 30-millionith time.  I felt guilty about that at first, but not now that I'm panicking about how little time I have before newborn time. The "nesting" is what is controlling my stress right now.

You see, I was late with Soren and just assumed this little guy would be the same way. However, I had some disapointing news at my appointment this week- once again, I tested positive for Group B Strep.

For those of you who aren't familiar, GBS is a bacteria that pregnant women can get. It is harmless to adults, but it can be fatal if passed to a newborn during the birth process. The main treatment include antibiotics passed through an I.V. to the mother while she is in labor.

My labor and delivery with Soren happened so quickly that I didn't get all the antibiotics. He got sick at 2 days old - which turned out to be more related to dehydration - but because he was exposed to GBS, they treated him for the worst.

My midwives know this and are concerned that it might happen again. So to prevent it, they are strongly suggesting that I get induced at 39 weeks. I know that is only a week early, but it is still shocking for me to think about it being in 2 weeks. OH MY GOODNESS!

So in order to avoid feeling overwhelmed and stressed, my "nesting" is out of control - or more like helping me feel in control. I have plans for sorting my fridge and freezer later tonight.

Comments

wow 2 weeks! I still can't believe how fast this has come. I loved being induced and had such a good experience so hope you love it too!!
Heather said…
Good luck!!! I had group b too! With Lydia. I was alrrady being enduced though when my lab results came back! Good luck with baby number 2!!!
wagstaffers said…
Hey Melissa, I wouldn't worry too much. I think the risk is still low if you don't have a fever while laboring and your water hasn't been broken for more than 18-24 hours. Induction carries with it certain risks as well. There is a very strong association between induction of labor and c-section (of course this is more so for first time mothers) Maybe you can get a second opinion or look up the stats on women passing gbs on to their newborns. Of course you've already been there done that so you are more aware. This is a long comment huh?
I was just thinking that if they break your water as part of the induction process it means he's got to come out after 24 hours for his own safety.
Paul and Susan said…
Sounds like you have really accomplished a lot. That is nice you had that burst of energy. I never got that with any of my pregnancies. Good luck with your preparations.
Britni Jean said…
so are you getting induced? my doctor said i could get induced on the 12th at my 39 week mark if i wanted to, but she isn't too concerned about it because it is so rare. i wiol call her monday and let her know what i have decided. but i don't know what i've decided. i just want him to come naturally before the 12th. that might be asking too much. and yes, i am nervous about having three. two kids was hard for me. it's better now that the girls can do a lot of things by themselves, but it is still tough. so i know three is going to be crazy for awhile.
i finally packed my bag yesterday and got most of the baby stuff ready. so now i feel ready for him to come. there is still tons that i would like to do, but i know i won't get it all done. well melissa, good luck! i can't wait to see pictures of your little boys together.
oh, i also made a snuggler blanket like the one you made. i'm excited to try it out. thanks for the pattern.
Katie said…
Oh my goodness, Melissa! Good luck with the induction. Just do what you can and what you want to do and then roll with it! (easy for me to say, right?)

Most Read