Family Update
This is part of a family newsletter I sent out for August and September. It catches everyone one up on my skipped days.
Scott and I are now college graduates! As hard as it was to go to school all summer, it was worth it to have that degree. Scott graduated with a BFA in Photograhy and I graduated with a bachelor's in Communication. However, it might not have happened. We both took a general requirement class called FA 100, which is required of everyone to graduate. The class seeks to expose students to more art, so you attend a certain number of Fine Art events. Scott & I forgot to attend the Dance event and as a result, had to beg and plead for another chance. We spent the day before graduation watching a 2 hour dance performance on video in the library. Meanwhile, our parents, brothers, sisters and Grandpa and Grandma were nice enough to keep on packing.
We had all sorts of adventures before leaving Rexburg. First of all, Mom and I woke up early one morning to go get boxes. I had a grand total of five at the apartment - not enough for all our stuff. Uhaul was sold out and it was quite a challenge finding them anywhere else in a college town. I had no idea how strategic you have to be! I almost cried when, after searching all over town, the cart full of perfect boxes right in front of us was grabbed by some one else. We weren't very nice after that. We split up and began scouring Walmart for random boxes right after they were unpacked. we finally hit the jackpot when one employee was kind enough to reserve 30 something Sunbeam boxes he was currently unloading. He saved the day!
Another adventure was our car. We took it into the shop three times before driving off Saturday morning - each time it was supposedly fixed. Yet, we ended up driving across the desert with the heater blasting.... I don't really feel like talking about it - it was frustrating. We were stuck in Elko, Nevada for three days. On the second day, Scott and I spent all day trying to sleep off a cold. Somehow we made it out of there!
The end of the story is that our car is going down the tube. We are saving up to fix its current problem, then it is going straight onto the market. In the meantime, Scott's mom is kind enough to share her van with us. Unfortunately, it is also going down the tube - but more reliable than our Rodeo.
Anyway, Mom spent a week with us. We had fun visiting Aunt Debbie and soaking in the sunshine in Clayton. After she left, I began my post-college job hunt. I was feeling pretty discouraged after almost a month. Scott and I went camping with some friends at Pinecrest Lake. The whole trip, I enjoyed relaxing, yet dreaded returning to unemployment back home. Heavenly Father knew I needed a little comfort, because the first thing we heard when we got home was that Scott was being offered his old job at the Hotel and that a company I had been interviewing with wanted me to come back in for the third time. A few days later I got a job offer from them to be an Account Coordinator.
Anyway, one reason I really like the company is their unique approach. Everything is online, so everyone has a laptop and can work from home. There are no office hours, you just get your work done. It sounds nice, but we'll see how I like it.
Scott is looking for a position with an Art gallery, but will stick with the hotel for now. We are both adjusting to leaving all our friends behind. For the past month, my main girlfriend has been a 2-year-old named Ava, who I babysit part time. We have lots of laughs together and watch Shrek at least once a day.

Comments