Have you met Kiki?


I just realized that I never officially introduced our new kitty, Kiki.

In February, after the death or our sweet Luna Star, my boys were longing for a kitty. I asked around and found a family who had several 6-month-old kittens who needed homes.

Soren and Scott really wanted a gray cat, and they just happened to have one. She was very sweet and good with the children. She and her siblings had been bottle-fed and raised by young children. Thanks to their love, she has never been mean to my children.

We brought her home and got her settled into a room in the basement while she adjusted to her new surroundings. At first, I was concerned about her reactions to Leo. While he could not have cared less about her, Kiki hissed and growled anytime he came near.

This lasted for a couple weeks, until she realized he wasn't a threat. They aren't as close as Luna and Leo, but she will occasionally take a nap on the couch near him.



Kiki is playful and loves attention. She will climb up your legs and attack your feet to get someone to play with her. She loves to be pet and spend time with the family. When the boys are at school, I have two shadows while doing housework - Kiki and Leo.

At first, she was afraid of going outside. However, as the weather has warmed up she has gravitated towards playing in our flower/weed bed near the door. She stays close to the house and me. With the exception of when she is in heat, but that is another story.



I wasn't expecting her to start her heat cycles so soon. We have kept her inside during them, but when I was out of town she escaped one night, disappearing for several days. When she returned, she had goopy eyes and slept a lot. It got worse until three days later, she wouldn't eat or drink. We took her to the vet and discovered she had a bite wound that was infected.

They got her antibiotics and she is back to her playful self. I do miss her snuggles, but I'm happy she feels better. Now on to scheduling that spaying....






Comments

Most Read