A trip to see dinosaurs

Lucas and Soren outside the Museum of Idaho before visiting the dinosaur exhibit. 

The boys begged to see the dinosaur exhibit at the Museum of Idaho all winter long. They also begged to see the Pirate exhibit before it. We procrastinated too long and never made it to Pirates, so this time I decided we better go before we miss it again.

It was good timing for a special family activity. I had been feeling a little sad about Lucas getting bigger and wanting to be with friends more than me. All of a sudden, I have time to do housework and projects again, thanks to his budding social life with preschool buddies. I loved it at first, but now I want him to be my little buddy again, following me around, begging to play trains and paint together.

Lucas at the petting zoo with a baby t-rex. He wanted his picture taken with each baby dinosaur. 

Going to explore the museum, just the three of us, was the perfect bonding activity. We pet baby dinos, dressed up as dino parents to guard nests, and excavated ancient nests seeking egg fossils. We also went to a nearby bakery and ate maple bars. Soren even said "Mom, can we pllleeeeeaase go to Nanna's house so we can eat maple bars from the bakery there," referring to our favorite dough boys from Sluy's Bakery in Poulsbo.

Soren petting his favorite dinosaur, a baby triceratops. 
Now today, Lucas and I are taking a lazy day - just the two of us. We both woke up with stuffy noses and low energy. I think he watched about 6 episodes of his favorite show "Dinosaur King" and then we got out the Thomas trains and started watching "Thomas".

We are both in pajamas and loving it.



On a side note, they have both said a couple things lately that are the greatest compliments to me. I don't think they realized it, nor did anyone else, but I loved it.

First, my picky-eater, Soren, told me that he likes my food the best. He said he doesn't like to go out to restaurants because he would rather stay home and eat my food. I was shocked - because he still hardly eats what I make - but I guess its better than Mcdonalds ;)  I made homemade hoagie rolls this week and last night he begged me to make more next week. Yay! Its nice to know they might appreciate me a little.



Then Lucas has been overheard bragging about my skills to his friends. Last month, he told his buddy Adam that I was a "really good sweeper," in a proud voice. Then this week at his friend Cyrus' house, I helped the boys cut open their gogurt snacks. Lucas, in his know-it-all voice began telling Cyrus how I was really good at using scissors. hahaha! I love it! These little things that I would never think twice about are brag-worthy to my little four-year-old.

Comments

Most Read