Last spring in San Francisco

Our drive-by photo of the Full House houses last spring in San Francisco

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. I blame it on all the candy I've been snitching from my boys' trick-or-treat stash. I guess I can only eat so much chocolate before it messes with me. And mess with me it has. Thanks to the library for its wonderful selection of Alvin and The Chipmunks movies, which my boys are watching right now. I have been browsing older pictures on my computer and came across images from a day trip to San Francisco last spring.



My husband grew up in the East Bay area, near San Francisco. After we graduated from college, we lived with his parents and I worked in the city. I loved it! It has always been a place I enjoy visiting. When Soren was a baby, I braved BART with my friend and we did the whole tourist thing. But since adding another baby to my family, I haven't had the courage to take the trip with kids. My worries, whether logical or not, ranged from loosing a child on BART to getting stuck in a stinky elevator.


However, this year my boys were old enough to walk around without us lugging a stroller. Scott has a good friend who owns several clothing stores in San Francisco, so we drove out to visit him and just have fun in the city.


It was interesting how many stares I got for having two boys. In Idaho where I live, my family is considered small. Most families have an average of four children, but six or more is not uncommon. To go from that to an area where one child (or none) is more common felt really weird. 


 At the ages of six and four, the city was still boring. Eating treats and playing at Ocean Beach were their favorite parts. Lucas loved running down the sand dunes at the beach, but Scott freaked me out when he warned me to watch for glass and needles. I tried to persuade Lucas to do something else. He wasn't buying it and decided I was just being a mean mommy.



I can't remember how I finally convinced him to stop, but he did. Then all the boys ended up cuddling next to Scott to keep warm. It was a heartwarming sight and worth the trip just for that moment watching the sunset. Although, next time I think we will go to a different beach. I prefer Stinson Beach or Sunset, but they are a further drive.











Comments

Most Read