My favorite reads of 2014

I've found myself in a reading rut, so I decided to review a few of the books I loved reading this year.

I like to read - like, a lot. And I have fun finding new stories through my friends, family and perusing the shelves of my local library and book stores. I've read a lot of new authors this year, including some with new series which I've really enjoyed. When I read, I'm not looking for anything too serious or dramatic. I mainly love a good story to get lost in. I've always been a huge fan of fiction.

Below are a few of my favorite stories that I've read recently: 



Gallagher Girl series by Ally Carter

My mom introduced me to this series by Ally Carter about a girl who attends spy school. Cammie Morgan may look like your typical teenage girl, but she has an easier time speaking 14 different languages and knowing how to kill a person seven different ways than dating an ordinary boy. The first book, "I'd Tell you I love you, But then I'd have to Kill You," introduces us to the Gallagher Academy and Cammie's secret life. Each book thereafter (there are 6 total) deals with a little more spy pressure and danger for Cammie and her friends.

They are fun reads and each book has a good mystery.


A Change of Fortune by Jen Turano

Thanks to my friend Krystle for introducing me to this author. We are both fans of Regency era stories and have fun discussing our latest reads. Krystle somehow stumbled on new(er) author Jen Turano. Turano's stories are the perfect mix of mystery, clean romance, adventure and personable characters in the regency era.

Lady Eliza Sumner secretly travels to America seeking the man who stole her families fortune. She poses as a nanny while looking for the theif. Her new employers are clueless to the fact that their new nanny is of the aristocracy. Eliza hides behind frumpy clothes and eye glasses, but her disguise can't hide her from Hamilton Beckett - New York's #1 eligible bachelor.

"A Change of Fortune" is a fun, uplifting story of love and faith. Turano has several other stories that feature characters readers meet in this story. I've read two of them and they are just as good as this one.


Ruby Red Trilogy by Kerstin Gier
Thank you Amazon Lending Library! I owe this one to a lucky find one evening when I was looking for something new to read on my kindle. Usually, I don't end up with something this good from the lending library.

"Ruby Red" was written by German author Kerstin Gier and has recently been translated into English (yay!). It is one of my most favorite time travel stories.

Gwyneth is raised in the shadow of her beautiful cousin Charlotte. The family fully expects Charlotte to be the inheritor of their time-travel gene and raises her with every possible privilege. Yet suddenly, Gwyneth finds herself fading in and out of time instead of Charlotte. Gwyneth is hastily introduced to a secret society of time travelers and finds herself in the middle of a sinister plot.


Poison by Bridget Zinn
I have no idea how I stumbled up on this book on Good Reads, but I'm so glad I read it! Half way through, I flipped back to read about the author. I wanted to know more about who wrote this fun, enjoyable story. It had such a fresh plot, filled with strong characters and a true sense of magic and adventure. I was surprised to see the author referred to in the past tense. Bridget Zinn passed away in 2011, and this was her debut novel which was published last year. It changed my view for the rest of this book. The book feels like a gift from a talented and creative writer. It leaves you wondering what other stories she had to tell. 



Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen
Another Regency Mystery/Romance/fun read. It starts out feeling a little Jane Eyre-ish, but I promise that it moves in a completely different direction.




Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa
I love to wander the library and find random books on the shelves that sound good. This is one that I struck gold on finding. I am a fairy tale lover - I just can't help myself. This story of fey and humans is different than anything I've read before.

The onslaught of human's technology has diminished their belief in the old fey, weakening their powers and creating a new race of fairy tale creatures. The Iron Fey threaten to take over the old world and only Meghan Chase has the power to protect the Wildwood, only she doesn't know it.




Emma by Jane Austen

Scott put all the classics on my Kindle when he gave it to me for Christmas a couple years ago. One night, I decided to try reading "Emma" again. I had read it when I was really young and think that most of it was probably over my head.

I now think it my new favorite Jane Austen book. For a while it was "Mansfield Park," but Emma and Mr. Knightley have pushed Fanny Price and Edmund aside. I love the humor and humanity of Emma. She so sincerely tries to do good, but her selfishness and naivety often cause others a lot of pain. Mr. Knightly, her neighbor and friend, stands by her side and helps her find her way. Love this story. Love the Gwyneth Paltrow movie. Love anything "Emma" related.

Comments