Double thumb whammy

Soren and Lucas both soaking their smashed thumbs in epson salt. I tried to keep them soaking longer by awarding popsicles and watching movies. 

Both my boys smashed their thumbs in our screen door.

Soren did it first on Lucas' birthday in May. Since he was first, the poor guy didn't have as much sympathy as his brother got. I didn't realize how bad it was until his finger nail turned back.

For the last two months we've been waiting for the nail to fall off. Just as its about to the screen door strikes again - but with Lucas.

I've never heard Lucas cry so hard and loud. He immediately had the blood swell under his nail. The next morning he woke with his thumb swollen up like a balloon. His nail looked like it was ready to burst off.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't realize it needed medical attention. In hindsight, that seems so dumb. But Soren's had been fine and I have never lost a nail. It is all new territory to me. Luckily, I have wise friends who told me we needed to relieve the pressure. It was the weekend and late at night. He fell asleep and Scott was able to poke his nail with a sterilized, hot paper cliff.

Lucas' thumb after we released some of the fluid. It is less swollen than it was, but still pretty bad. 

It released some of the pressure, but not enough. This is what it looked like the next day. :(

I took him in to the doctor. They were confused when both Soren and Lucas began talking about their smashed thumbs. Soren showed off his, which was hanging on by a thread. And then they caught sight of Lucas' swollen finger.

The doctor was so quick, I don't think Lucas realized what he was doing. He held his hand to block Lucas' view of a big needle and poked it again, releasing the last of the fluid. Giving compliments to us, he said Scott had basically done his job for him.

We got X-Rays (no broken bones!) and then got to see how much room Lucas' growth plates have. The doctor predicted that he will be doing lots of growing soon.

Its been a couple weeks since that day. Soren's nail has now fallen off (he is pretty proud). Lucas has no swelling and a completely black nail. I guess we are just waiting for it to fall off now.

The screen door has caused no further injuries.

Comments

Most Read