Saying Goodbye to our Home of 5 years
![]() |
| Soren and Lucas wrestling outside our home after painting pumpkins this fall. |
But last night, I listened to Scott put my boys to bed:
"This is the last night you will sleep in this house," he told them.
Suddenly, I wanted to jump up and be the one to sing the last lullably and tell the last story. This is where I told them their first stories and lullabies! We moved here when Soren was exacltly 4 weeks old. Lucas has never lived anywhere else.
Its an little, old house - but a good one. It has always felt like home. We have been blessed to live safe and warm between its walls. It has kept us dry and given us a gathering place to play, laugh, love and learn.
![]() |
| Soren, dressed as Iron Man, riding bikes with Tucker and Cooper. Fall 2012 |
Living here has given us new friends, who we will always love - no matter where we live. I have spent countless hours playing outside with my boys and my neighbor's boys. We will miss them living so close to us.
And just so I don't forget, here are some more random memories about living in this home:
![]() |
| Lucas playing in his sandbox next to our overgrown garden last summer. Notice the gigantic zucchini in the front left. |
- It is where I learned how to garden! My first garden was small, just a few wimpy peas, green beans and cucumbers because nothing else grew well. But the next two gardens were twice as big. I grew the biggest sunflowers I've ever seen! And discovered that I like playing in the dirt and growing things.
- I also learned how to can my own food! Thanks to my neighbor, Lori, who spent a whole afternoon in my kitchen, teaching me how to do it. Before living here, I had helped my family can, but never done it on my own. After the first year with Lori, I have done it on my own and we have survived. Woo hoo!
- This is where I remembered the simple things that bring me joy. Prior to living here, I had been so busy going to school and working that I forgot everything else. Here, I found myself home alone with little babies. It was fulfilling, but also a little monotonous and depressing. After Lucas, I really struggeld. Then I began remembering what I did as a child that made me happy - singing, playing instruments, photography, reading, making things, inventing stories, drawing, being outside. The more I've turned to those things, the more enjoyable my home has been.
- It is where I've learned to be okay with what I have. I've stopped looking to the future to solve all my problems, and enjoyed living in the present.
- This is where I learned lots of things from the kind women in my ward and neighborhood: Sister Jensen taught me how to be a good visiting teacher. Sister Cardon taught me how to welcome people and make them feel loved. Sister Archibald taught me that my trials as a mom are normal and I will be okay. Sister Hepworth taught me to stop expecting to clean my whole house is a day and take it in baby steps. Sister Ross taught me how to lead in a presidency and love the people you serve.
- I have memories of experiencing the world anew through the eyes of my boys - discovering wet mud and worms, how sour a lemon tastes; the excitement of fresh snow, fallen pine cones and leaves; loosing track of time on warm summer days, running through sprinklers; making forts and the tallest tower in the world.
- I have lots of memories of walking Leo. And I've learned that if Leo is feeling anxious and restless from not walking, I usually am too!
- This is where we built our first Fairy Garden - a tradition me and my boys will continue as long as they will let me. We painted wooden bird houses. Then glued pieces of wood, buttons, silk and dried flowers all over. We set them up in an old metal wagon and planted our favorite flowers all around.
There are so many memories. I'm grateful for my time here, but excited to make a new home and new friends. Now I better get back to packing.











Comments