A recovering perfectionist

 I was invited to write an editorial for Keep Forever Box, an online magazine started by my friend Jamie's family. It gave me the opportunity to explore a topic I've had on my mind for a while - overcoming the perfectionist thinking trap.

I go into details in the article here, but to sum it up, I've discovered I cause a lot of unnecessary anxiety trying to be "perfect" in my life. Whether its being a mom, wife, friend or professional, I like to succeed in what I do. However, sometimes I find I view my success in terms of black-and-white (ie: If it wasn't perfect, than I failed). Enter the unneeded stress and anxiety.

I admit it - I am a perfectionist. And I would like to change that.

I shared a couple things I've been doing to begin that change. I've got a lot more ideas! I hope to be sharing them with you soon.

Who else can relate to this? I know I'm not alone....

Comments

Deanna said…
Isn't it a relief to confess? Part of my major depression and anxiety 2 years ago was caused by this mentality too. Unrealistic expectations are brutal. Recovery and healing feels so good. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Most Read