Birthday Boy
![]() |
| Soren and my mom at his 4th birthday party. |
When Soren was born, he stopped crying as soon as he heard my voice. It shocked me - leading to all sorts of overwhelming thoughts about how much I mean to this little child of God.
Its a memory I cherish. It helps me keep perspective through the rough patches in our day. And it is one I love to think about on his birthday.
Soren turned 4 on January 2nd and celebrated it with a bunch of his favorite people - his cousins, aunts and uncles, and one set of grandparents.

We had a lot of fun, but the day was plagued by one troublesome thought: What if I'm not me when I get old?
This little guy is already worried about aging! It was the very first thing he said to me at 7 a.m. when I wished him a Happy Birthday. And the more you tried to assure him he would always be Soren, the more obstinate he got that he probably wouldn't be.
He talked to his aunts about it, he told his Grandma in California about it, he told me over and over and over again.

However, it didn't stop him from celebrating just like a 4-year-old should (eating the icing of his cake and tearing through presents like he was in a race).
In the morning we went with cousins to the Children's Museum in Salt Lake City. It was awesome - even I wanted to play. Lucas couldn't get past the first exhibit with a tractor, but then we finally convinced him (who is obsessed with water play) to check out the indoor play river.
Soren ran all over with Thomas and Emma (the other kids were already back to school). I loved watching him play with his cousins. Thomas, as the oldest, was great at leading them to do fun things.
My favorite part was playing with the signalman flags and messages upstairs. Soren stood on one side of the building and I stood on the other. We waved flags at each other and shouted messages through the speaker phone.
Soren is also my little builder and loved the Tinker Toys room that was on display. I think he could have stayed there all day if we let him.
Kids and adults crashed afterwards, except Jana and I (or really just Jana) had to finish making Soren's birthday cake and bake his requested dinner.
We had been bugging him all week about what he wanted to eat on his birthday. He wouldn't agree to anything - even usual favorites like hot dogs and pbj. Finally, the day before, he came up with an idea on his own.
"I want chicken on bones for dinner," he said.
"What?" I said.
"For my birthday. I want to eat chicken on bones."
Then I remembered roasting a chicken several weeks ago. Soren and Lucas, both picky eaters, loved it and practically ate the whole bird themselves.
So Soren was served Roast Chicken (AKA Chicken on Bones) with corn on the cob and rolls for dinner.
![]() |
| Soren opening birthday presents, surrounded by lots of loving family. |
His birthday party followed, with a surprise visit from Nana and Grandpa Cleaver.
His cake turned out AMAZING, with three layers of chocolate goodness.
He played hard and then crashed. And now he is four :)
![]() |
| Playing at the Childrens Museum in SLC |
![]() |
| Thomas and Soren building something at the Childrens Museum. |
![]() | ||
| Lucas playing with the balls at the Children's Museum. I'm not sure they meant for kids to sit in there, but he sure loved it. We had to drag him away from the ball station. |
![]() |
| Although his facial expression doesn't give it away, Lucas absolutely loved playing at the water station. Whenever we couldn't see him, we knew right where to find him. |
![]() |
| Lucas riding a pretend horse. He loves horses, but has yet to sit on a real one. |
![]() |
| Soren's awesome birthday cake, made by his awesome Aunt Jana. |
![]() |
| Soren getting reading to blow our his candles. We were so lucky to have Aunt Nicole and her family come to the party. |
![]() |
| Soren bugging Jett while he is trying to eat cake. |
![]() |
| Some of our favorite people! |
![]() | |
| too much cake :) |













Comments