Last year, this year

February 2011

A year ago:
- I was pregnant
- Soren's hair was lighter
- Soren still used a binky
- I had just finished the quilt on the back of the couch
- We were a family of 3 (and Leo)

Today:
My patience wore thin as both Soren and Lucas' new tricks kept me from packing for a family vacation this weekend. Soren's new trick is to say "Mommy, watch this" every two seconds while Lucas tries to climb up my pants whenever I set him down.

After accomplishing very little by nap time, I crashed along with them and slept the afternoon away. Scott let me escape this evening - or at least he didn't stop me - to have a few moments to myself. I did my usual "get-me-out-of-here" trip to Dairy Queen for a double fudge chocolate chip cookie dough blizzard. I peacefully read my kindle. Then headed home for the bedtime battle.

Only, I was surprised to find that my little break had worked. When I returned, my boys' tricks seemed cute and sweet. We spread Soren's Cars blankets on the floor and told Teeny and Moe stories - Lucas cuddled up with us, too. Then I tucked both of them in bed.

I usually end their bedtime routine with songs. Soren's latest favorites are "Little Bunny Foo-foo" (he pronounces it "poo-poo") and "The Wiseman built his house upon a rock" (Soren tells me it is called "The Foolish man...."). As we sing, Lucas' head pops up behind his crib bumper, pushing up against the railing, so he can watch us sing.

Even at the end of a long day, singing little songs with two sweet boys by nightlight will always be one of my favorite memories.  Especially when I think of those little eyes on me, watching me with nothing but love.

Comments

Deanna said…
Good to know I'm not the only one who has "get-me-out-of-here" days. A couple of times I have left as soon as Charles gets in the door :)
Paul and Susan said…
You have a very demanding job, I hope you get regular breaks in the future that you can look forward too!

Most Read