Handel's "Messiah"
My neighbor and I attended a performance of Handel's Messiah by the BYU-Idaho Baroque Ensemble last night. I loved it because:
a. No one screamed "Mommmyyyy!" or "Hold me" or "I want this___" for two hours.
b. I must be getting old to sit so still in the audience (vs. wishing I were performing the whole time).
c. The string instruments were made with sheep gut to keep true to the 18th century.
d. It was a phenomenal performance that made my heart soar.
e. All of the above
The answer is definitely e. The two hour peformance was over before I knew it and I found myself wishing for it to start over again - which has never happened to me before. I've been to several "Messiah"s before, mainly sing-a-longs, as well as performed in the chorus. Yet, I have never EVER enjoyed it so much.

My favorite piece was and aria sung by Nina Pierce after the "Hallelujah Chorus."
"I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth. And though worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God" - Job 19:25-26.
Amen! The program included a note that I loved about why "Messiah" has lasted in popularity through more than two centuries:
"What is it about Messiah that allows it to survive everything from amputation to fussy historical restoration?
Perhaps, in part, because the very object of Handel's musical homage - Jesus Christ Himself - lives and transcends forever all the ragings of men and devils against Him in every age.
In the words of Jennen's text, "the nations...furiously rage together [and] the kings of the earth rise up against the Lord," yet the Messiah and his worshipers rise above the shouting mobs and scoffing intellectuals with limitless resiliency. So, fittingly, does Handel's Messiah." - Dr. Kempton


Comments