Fighting Discouragement
Once I dragged myself out of bed this morning, I walked into the living room to pull back the curtains, like I usually do. I was shocked to see the world all white, covered in three inches of snow!
It was beautiful, but also a little discouraging. The boys were also disappointed. I tried to lift all our spirits by talking about how the snow will most likely melt this afternoon. We also talked about how all this lovely moisture will help the flowers grow. However, this time of year we all just crave sunshine.
Now with the boys in school, Leo and I are settled for a lazy morning in the house. My mind seems to lean towards worrying, when I'd rather be enjoying this time alone. It gives me practice in redirecting thoughts. Redirection helps, but when that doesn't work, writing does.
One thing I've been working on is not comparing myself to others - wishing I was thinner, richer, better at stuff, etc... A friend told me some advice that has been helpful. Whenever you find yourself wishing for what others have, say "I want that for me and I want even more for you."
I've tried it out couple times and found it helps change my attitude from negative and, I'll admit, jealous, to thankful and more positive. It doesn't make that wish go away, but it stops it from turning into such a discouraging place.
I had another friend tell me that I have my trials because God knows I can handle them and become stronger. That helps too.
Last night, I read a talk from the LDS General Conference in October 2014 about how God has a plan for each of us. My favorite part about it was reading about Moses. He had a hard life! Yet he was able to endure his years in the desert leading the children of Israel because he knew God had a plan for him.
I love that reminder and needed to read it again as I was writing this! Lucas is almost done with preschool, which means I need to wrap up here.
It was beautiful, but also a little discouraging. The boys were also disappointed. I tried to lift all our spirits by talking about how the snow will most likely melt this afternoon. We also talked about how all this lovely moisture will help the flowers grow. However, this time of year we all just crave sunshine.
Now with the boys in school, Leo and I are settled for a lazy morning in the house. My mind seems to lean towards worrying, when I'd rather be enjoying this time alone. It gives me practice in redirecting thoughts. Redirection helps, but when that doesn't work, writing does.
One thing I've been working on is not comparing myself to others - wishing I was thinner, richer, better at stuff, etc... A friend told me some advice that has been helpful. Whenever you find yourself wishing for what others have, say "I want that for me and I want even more for you."
I've tried it out couple times and found it helps change my attitude from negative and, I'll admit, jealous, to thankful and more positive. It doesn't make that wish go away, but it stops it from turning into such a discouraging place.
I had another friend tell me that I have my trials because God knows I can handle them and become stronger. That helps too.
Last night, I read a talk from the LDS General Conference in October 2014 about how God has a plan for each of us. My favorite part about it was reading about Moses. He had a hard life! Yet he was able to endure his years in the desert leading the children of Israel because he knew God had a plan for him.
"We are children of Almighty God. He is our Father, He loves us, and He has a plan for us. We are not here in this life just to waste our time, grow old, and die. God wants us to grow and achieve our potential. "
Elder Carlos A Godoy, The Lord Has a Plan for Us!
I love that reminder and needed to read it again as I was writing this! Lucas is almost done with preschool, which means I need to wrap up here.


Comments