The decision every pet-owner dreads


My pretty kitty, Luna, who was hit by a car on Monday.
She is suffering from a fractured and dislocated pelvis, tail bone and incontinence. 
I'm really angry about my cat being hit by a car. And even more angry about the cost to help heal her. I know my anger doesn't solve any problems, but it distracts me from feeling as helpless. Although, I still feel pathetically helpless.

I am placed in a position of choosing an expensive surgery to save her life (with continued health problems) or euthanizing her (which means loosing her companionship and feeling like world's worst pet owner).

Some good points my friends have shared with me on both sides are:

  • We saved her life as a kitten and she has lived very well with us, even if it is for a short time.
  • The money might be worth her continued companionship for the next 5-10+ years
  • She was/is perfect for our family and can never be replaced, but every cat is different and will fill our hearts in different ways. 
  • Learning to deal with grief is an important part of life. 
Luna and Leo cuddling - a regular past-time at our house

For me, the hardest part of this decision is exactly what it is - a decision. I have the freedom to choose. In some ways, I wish it would be taken out of my hands by a turn for the worse or a sudden miracle. Or a well-timed freelance assignment to help compensate for the cost. Although even that would not smooth over the problems of an incontinent cat, no matter how much I love her. 

Luna and I cuddling a couple weeks ago, between dishes and dinner in my kitchen. 

My other frustration is my own mental health. Winters tend to get me down, even without beloved pets being run over. This winter, I have been doing a better job managing my health, but this has set me back a little. 

I feel so discouraged and sad that I just don't care right now. My physical fitness routine has gone out the window along with empty bags of chocolate and chips. My children have spent the last couple days binge watching The Magic School Bus and Daniel Tiger,  while I mope and mindlessly browse the Internet.  I've lost interest in reading (which is always a bad sign) and feel awful. I have no motivation for dishes, housework, bills or any of my grown-up responsibilities. Good thing everyone likes cereal and sandwiches - cause that is all I am capable of right now. 

I just want to cry - and have been crying a lot. I am so upset and torn over this decision. It is hard enough to see a pet in pain, but being asked to be the responsible adult who provides for the pet is even harder. 



Comments

Unknown said…
Bless your sweet heart, I was pregnant 5 years ago and my beloved cat got ran over right in front of my eyes I sobbed and sobbed. I learned real fast that prayer even fixed my broken heart over a cat! I was sad and I missed him I still have his collar and a lot of pictures. I took a break from kitties for awhile and then came upon adopting two! the next fall!
Feel better soon. If you want we can start walking a little.
Unknown said…
Oh Melissa, I wish I could hug you! As someone who (A) recently had to make a decision like this for her cat and (B) suffers from depression, your post just speaks to my heart. When our sweet kitty Sonia was suffering from kidney failure in August I could either try to prolong her life (with suffering and cost) or choose to say goodbye. I didn't want to be the one to make the choice either and I agonized over it. Then I realized that Sonia would love me no matter what. And that there was no wrong answer. Not really. It was still agonizing right up to the day, though as soon as she was gone, I felt peace. I knew she was finally at peace. On top of that, I totally hear you with the ever-present managing of mental health. January is always, always hard. It seems to take so much more effort to keep my mental health "cup" full (or at least not completely empty). You totally deserve some slack right now for having to go through this. And remember (because I know that for me, it's really hard to remember when I'm in that place) that this will pass and you will feel better again. This is temporary. Big Big Big hugs to you.
susan Kelley said…
Big hugs to you. Making grown up decisions are tough. Its not easy when its the life of your pet. The vets don't make it any easier either. As the guilt piles on, in the end what type of life will your pet have and is it affordable,like not a second mortgage.Will your pet feel comfortable if it has the surgery. Tough decisions. Its so heartbreaking to have to make the decision that can end their life. But I heard that president Kimble believed in a heaven for pets. Love and hugs for you. Its tough having a soft 💖 heart. Love and hugs ,Melissa
Unknown said…
Depression is rough stuff! I hope you get some inspiration to guide you!

Most Read