Cress Creek Trail: Hiking around Southeastern Idaho


We went on our first "family of four" hike in September with our friends, the Andersons. Soren still thinks we hiked a mountain. For his 3-yr-old legs it probably felt like a mountain, but really it was only a mile loop.

I felt like a true Idahoan - finally getting out of the big city of Rexburg and hitting the trails. I packed my bag just how my dad taught me: plenty of water, snacks, first aid kit. We were ready for that one-miler!



 And the best part was that there were beautiful views the entire hike. We were up above the Snake River and looped around Cress Creek (which was apparently named for the Cress plant which grows there. I guess you can eat it, too. I wanted to try it, but it was the wrong time of year).
 You can see the cress growing to the left of Soren - its the green leafy plant. But more importantly, you can see his adorable bear hat that finally was worn. This was the first time it was cold enough to wear it outside. Since then, we've had plenty of cold days to break that hat in.





 Its really great to find family friendly trails near home - especially ones that are wheel-chair accessible (a.k.a stroller friendly). The first half was even paved, but after that it was a slightly steep, gravelly, uphill battle. I pushed for a little while, then Will took over. Both my Lucas and the Anderson's Lucas had a pretty easy ride in the stroller, though.

Here's my friend Jamie and I . When I look at all the plants in the background (now all frozen) I remember how much I love the smell of Idaho in the summer and fall - all so fresh and sagey.


 Then Soren had fun taking pictures. Its fun to see things from his perspective, despite the embarrassing derriere shots or unflattering belly shots - usually all of me. However, once in a while he gets us adults at a more flattering angle.

 We found a great picnic table overlooking the Snake River and busted out the snack/lunch food. I had a surplus of pear and cherry tomatoes from my garden, which I tried to get every one to eat. Now that my garden days are over, I sure miss those guys.

We played for a little bit and then continued our trip back down the trail. By this point, Soren was done walking and we carried him a lot. Lucas was still a happy camper in the stroller, though. And the fresh air knocked both of them out for naps later. I love hiking! We are already planning for next summer, but I think that is a natural reaction after being cooped up more during winter.

Comments

Paul and Susan said…
I am glad you had such fun on your hike. I am glad you documented it with pictures too!

Most Read