Names

My friend Bree shared a blog post explaining where her children's names came from. I loved it! So I immediately stole the idea for my own blog - since someday I will print my blog into a book for posterity's sake, right? ;) [I've been saying that for years now!]

I bought my first baby name book when I was about 10 years old. Sounds funny, I know, but I spent hours daydreaming and loved to come up with new characters for my little stories. I would sketch their faces in a notepad and skim over every page of the name book for the perfect name. Sadly, the sketchbook is long gone, but the name book is at my mom's house. I reviewed it when I was pregnant with Lucas and decided it is a good think I starting tracking favorite names more than 10 years ago - it gave me time to change me taste. I liked some weird names back then. Mainly girl names (Cimorene and Beryl are the two I remember) - I could never decide on boy names. So I when Scott and I learned our first baby would be a boy, we started the name game from scratch.

Little 2-day-old Soren.

Soren (Thunder or Severe): Scott and his dad have the same initials - SRW - and I really wanted to share that heritage with our first son. The problem was, I didn't like very many "S" names for boys. I kept jumping back and forth between Simon and Sawyer, but neither stuck. Then Scott told me about the name Severnin, the bass player from Souxie and the Banshees. Somehow that led to us finding the name Soren. The first time we heard it we loved it, but knew it was pretty different and might not be a hit with anyone else. But it was the only name that ever fit. After Soren was born, we went back and forth between names. Nothing could top Soren in my eyes. We were nervous to commit, since you kind of feel like you are holding your child's destiny in your hands when choosing a name. Once we signed that birth certificate, he has been a Soren and he couldn't be anyone else.

(Ironically, he has become a pretty stubborn and opinionated boy. Soren, or Thunder, could not be more appropriate - for good and bad. His laughter shakes the house as much as his tantrums)

Soren's great-great Uncle Richard, whom he is named after.

Richard (Brave ruler): As I mention before, Scott and his dad have the same initials - SRW. The "R" stands for Richard, my father-in-law's uncle. Neither Scott or his dad have met the original Richard, who was killed in WWII. When we spoke with Scott's Grandma about her brother, she told us how much she loved him and that Scott's dad physically resembled him. I hope Soren can someday be proud of his ancestor who fought for freedom.


(On a side note - while Soren's great-great Uncle Richard died before he was born, Soren did have the opportunity to meet his great-great-great Aunt Reva on my dad's side. I wish I had thought to take a picture of them together. Its amazing to know someone from your family with so many greats. Reva passed away the week Lucas was born this spring).

Little two-day-old Lucas

Lucas (Light): The name Lucas was never on my list - but it had been on Scott's for a while. When we were at the hospital naming Soren, we almost named him Lucas. It came out of no where to me. We had never talked about the name. The same thing happened after Lucas (who wasn't Lucas yet) was born. I was pregnant for nine whole months and we threw around favorite names like Elliott and Marek - but never Lucas. Neither of us could decide on a name together. Scott was a big Elliott fan. I was a big Marek fan. When it came down to it, Lucas didn't look like either of our favorite names. We left the hospital with Baby Boy Wheeler and called him "Baby" for a week before Scott could talk me into Lucas. I don't know why I had such a hard time agreeing - it is the perfect name for him and I love it now. But at the time, I think the only reason why I gave in was because I was sooo tired. That sounds horrible now, but it all worked out the way it should.

 Scott and Batta

Parks: We had this middle name picked out before we were pregnant. Parks is one of Scott's family names and reminds him of grandpa, Batta. Just as with Soren, we hope Lucas will one day love his heritage because of his middle name.

(Another side note - if Soren had been a girl, he would have been called Elise. If Lucas had been a girl, he would have been an Adelaide).

Little 8-week-old Leo, who is now turning 5 this Halloween.


 Is anyone wondering about Leo? If you are - his name was pure inspiration that came out of no where. We had been considering Bowie (As in David Bowie), but then thought up Leo. He can be a handful - when he is busy hiding raw meat and investigating poopy diapers - but he is also so gentle and patient with Soren. Lucas is too little to do more than watch him, but Leo shows his love by trying to lick Lucas' face clean for me.

Well that is how we picked our boys' names. They are all so sweet and cute. We try to remember every day how blessed we are to have them in our family.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I loved this! I've always loved Soren's name and Lucas looks just like a Lucas. I might have to steal this. Oh and not to forget Leo, I remember when you named him too. :)
Paul and Susan said…
What a great idea to record how you chose each of their names. Sometimes the years dim the details. The boys will enjoy knowing how they got their names when they are older.
Meg said…
I loved hearing how your boys got their names. They are both unique, and I love that they have names from their heritage as well.
Diana said…
I love this! I am totally stealing the idea too! I remember back in like 4th grade, we had to do a project that talked about why we were named what we were named. My parent's reason was, "because we liked it". LAME! So ever since then I have wanted to name my children for a reason...I love your reasons and I love hearing the though process and possible alternatives to the names. By the way, I love both names...ok all 3 names!
Bree said…
Mel, you're not supposed to use my idea and then do WAAAAY better!! ;) You're just too good of a writer! Loved your post and I definitely agree we need to get together!! Love ya!
Lisa Brown said…
Very fun! I did this tag back in 2006, but i will include the link, just in case you want to know where my kids got their names :). http://lisabrown.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/11/whats_in_a_name.html

Most Read