True spirit of Christmas

My friend Lisa emailed a Christmas Scripture reading list. Each day has a few versus that tell the story of Christ and his birth. I'm a little late starting - but better than never, right?

One of the reasons why I was excited when she sent me this, is because I've been thinking a lot about getting into the Christmas Spirit. When you're a kid, it is so easy. The lights are enchanting, the music makes your spirit soar, the smells of cookies and trees assure you that this is how life is supposed to be. The center of it all is a little baby Jesus, laying in a manger at the center of the nativity on display.

Then when you get older, it seems like you have to work a lot harder to catch - and then hold - those same feelings. At least, that's how I feel.

Maybe its because I'm too busy? Or because I'm focused on the wrong things?

I enjoy watching tv when Soren is asleep, but I almost can't stand it right now. Every commercial tells me I need this or that to be happy or normal. "Its Christmas - come by this game or take advantage of this sale." Because that's what Christmas is about, right?

Maybe that's the real reason why I have a hard time holding onto the spirit of Christmas. The messages from my tv are louder than anything else.

Enter Lisa's Daily Christmas reading chart - its just what I need. Today I read Day 1, which actually wasn't a scripture from the Bible, but a powerfully worded testimony of Jesus Christ from modern day prophets and Apostles. It starts like this:

"As we commemorate the birth of Jesus Christ two millennia ago, we offer our testimony of the reality of His matchless life and the infinite virtue of His great atoning sacrifice. None other has had so profound an influence upon all who have lived and will yet live upon the earth.

He was the Great Jehovah of the Old Testament, the Messiah of the New. Under the direction of His Father, He was the creator of the earth. “All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made” (John 1:3). Though sinless, He was baptized to fulfill all righteousness. He “went about doing good” (Acts 10:38), yet was despised for it. His gospel was a message of peace and goodwill. He entreated all to follow His example. He walked the roads of Palestine, healing the sick, causing the blind to see, and raising the dead. He taught the truths of eternity, the reality of our premortal existence, the purpose of our life on earth, and the potential for the sons and daughters of God in the life to come."

"The Living Christ: the Testimony of the Apostles" in full is here.

And here is what you do Dec 2 - 7. If you'd like the whole calendar, I'd be happy to email it (I'm sure Lisa wouldn't mind). Oh - and if you don't have scriptures handy, you can read them online here (Just look to the column in the right. Most of the scriptures are in the New Testament, but Dec 7 is in the Old Testament).

Dec. 2 - Luke 1:5-25

Dec. 3 - Luke 1:26-38

Dec. 4 - Luke 1:39-55

Dec. 5 - Mark 1:4-11

Dec. 6 - Matthew 1:18-25

Dec. 7 - Isaiah 7:14-15

Comments

Bree said…
Meliss. I love this. You are SO awesome! I feel the same way having a hard time catching the spirit. Thanks for sharing those scriptures. I'd love the whole calendar if you could send it! Did you get my message the other day? Hope you guys are doing good. Love you tons and let me know if you can hang out anytime soon!! :)
Jamie Anderson said…
Hey! I have a hard time getting into the Spirit of Christmas too, but I have been thinking a lot lately what it would have been like to be there when the Savior was born...it's been helping me get more into the Spirit this year. I would love an e-mail of the scripture list. We also need to get together and do some Christmas baking!
Lisa Brown said…
I am so glad you liked it Melissa! It has really been helping me stay in the right frame of mind this year. And that testimony of the Apostles was so powerful - it has been hanging on our wall since we got married, but I am not sure that I had read it before this.

PS. I put a link on my latest post to download the scripture cards in a pdf form, so feel free to send people there if you want :).
Paul and Susan said…
That's a wonderful idea to help feel the true spirit of Christmas. Thanks for sharing!

Most Read